Saturday, March 23, 2013

ITALY 2013-DAY ONE!


Friday, March 22nd
At least, I’m pretty sure it is the 22nd…we might have traveled into the 23rd.

Yes, ladies and gents, I am actually leaving the continental United Stated for the first time in my adult life…actually, for the first time in my life.

The family reunions in Canada don’t count.

Come to think of it, the last time I took a REAL vacation was January 2009 for my (long overdue) honeymoon.

We are on our way to the lovely country of Italy, where we will spend seven lovely days roaming the country of Tuscany, hopefully with some day trips to Rome (during Holy Week, I know…we are all insane) and Pompeii.

I have scrapped and saved and dragged my butt into work everyday to make sure I had enough vacation days to make this trip. I expedited my Passport.  I left behind two very upset kittens…well, one upset kitty who saw the luggage and freaked and another who probably just thought “wow, they have a lot of stuff this morning.” He’ll get upset in about two days when he has seen only the sitter.

Meeting up with Evan, the intrepid instigator of this whole trip, and Melanie, our blond nerd goddess, we winged our way to O’Hare where Spring Break travel was in full swing. We got through fine, then started the wait for Evan’s wife Mara and my hubby, Steve.

Stupid Blue Line.

Check in went fine. So far, the only real issue was that Tristan, the sixth member of our party, along with everyone else on the plane, had been pulled of the flight due to a mechanical issue. They were delayed for three hours, which meant that Tristan missed his connecting flight in Washington to Rome and United didn’t seem to want to do anything about that…they just loaded everyone on another plane and shipped them off to D.C. to fend for themselves.

We counted ourselves lucky, having found our gate with time to spare and being told that there would be a meal on the flight (this was a good thing for us and for the rest of the people on the flight; you DO NOT want to mess with me when I get hypoglaecemic). 

Then they announced that there was a mechanic crew on the plane trying to fix the plane’s outer door…which is what was wrong with Tristan’s plane.  Now, please keep in mind that we have ONE HOUR in London to get to our flight to Vienna…and then LESS than that to catch the flight to Florence.

GAH!

We are on the plane now and winging our way across the Atlantic. There might be some issue with the car in Florence, but here’s to hoping it all works out…

No comments:

Post a Comment